Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hallelujah



I had a rough night. Then I realized, my night doesn't even compare to Roland's family's. When I picked up the phone and Colleen said, "Megan did you hear about Roland?". My response was, "What, did he finally find a girl?". What she said was the last thing I ever expected. I don't know all the details but I do know there was a car accident, and no brain activity. That began 4 days of constant phone calls, text messages and facebook updates from college friends. Yesterday, his parents made the decision no parent should ever have to make, and shut off the machines. Their son had barely reached his 30's. I hadn't seen or spoken to Roland since college, but that doesn't mean I didn't still consider him a dear friend. The thing is, being sad seems inappropriate, because I know he's not. Like his sister, Kate, said, "Roland is living the DREAM-- robed in Glory". There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that is truth. The thing is, Roland was one of those people that never belonged to the world anyway. I keep thinking of the scripture that says, "foxes have holes, birds have nests but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head". That was Roland. When I knew him, the only thing of value he owned was his car, and since he was the cheapest person I've ever meet, that's not saying much. Like every believer who's left this world behind, he's finally arrived where he truly belongs. Patrick Swayze died yesterday. I listened to one of his final interviews this morning. When asked about death he said, "I don't know what's on the other side". Last night someone said to me, "If your friend was a decent person then let's hope he went to a better place". I said, "Oh, I know he did". What profound comfort, Hallelujah!

2 comments:

  1. The cheapest and the slowest eating person I have ever met but will be missed so much!! Sweet message, Meg! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful friend! Our sadness at this loss cannot compare to what must be indescrible joy for Roland!!!

    ReplyDelete

The Ocho Crew

The Ocho Crew

About Me

My photo
This blog is about a medical team from Florida that went to Port-au-Prince shortly the devastating January 2010 earthquake. The trip is organized through the Florida Baptist Convention and involves doctor's and nurses from Jacksonville, Orlando and Sarasota.