Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Water to Wine

I've known the story of Jesus' first miracle since I was a child. Thursday night I made it to John 2. As I read it again, a few things occurred to me.

In vs. 10 the master of the banquet is talking to the bridegroom after tasting the water Jesus turned into wine, he said "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

Throughout the story only Christ, the servants, Mary and the disciples knew what really went down. Neither the master or bridegroom ever knew. As I read it I thought, 'I wonder what was going through the bridegrooms head at that moment?' Probably something along the lines of, 'SWEET! MY WEDDING ROCKS!'.

The really cool thing is neither had any idea they'd witnessed a miracle. Then I had two more thoughts:

First, how miraculous is it that the lives of the people who attended the wedding were blessed, for no other reason than they were in the same vicinity as Jesus. We know they were Jews, but we don't know if any of them ever believed in the Son--Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. The point is, just being physical near the Lord meant they were recipients of a heavenly blessing. Fine wine is nice, but I have to wonder how much more are those of us who know Christ blessed because we chose to believe? Let's even take it a step past salvation, what about those who walk with the Lord? It's one of those spiritual truths that blows your mind.

Secondly I also had to wonder, how many times have my lips unknowingly drank of wine touched by the hand of God?

Honestly though...I think the servants had the best point of view of all. vs. 9 "He (the master of the banquet) did not realize where it had come from but the servants who had drawn the water knew."

vs. 11 says, "He (Jesus) thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him."
Isn't glory the reason God ever does everything. That was the whole point...the reason why Jesus turned water into wine in the first place. Not so the guests could enjoy a better wine, or the couple could say they're wedding rocked. The last part of vs. 11 says it all, "his disciples put their faith in him."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Ocho Crew

The Ocho Crew

About Me

My photo
This blog is about a medical team from Florida that went to Port-au-Prince shortly the devastating January 2010 earthquake. The trip is organized through the Florida Baptist Convention and involves doctor's and nurses from Jacksonville, Orlando and Sarasota.